I don’t always hear voices...

... but when I do, I listen.

Once in a while, not often, voices of people that are definitely not me interrupt my waking life. Affirmations, or questions that jump into my head this way are often good pattern interrupts, or guidance. 


At least one was prophetic. As I was leaving our apartment one summer morning, preoccupied with a publishing deadline for a sci-fi story that was going nowhere. I distinctly heard “What are you going to do when the lights go out?”


And I thought, “That’s weird,” and went about my business…until late afternoon, because it was August 14, 2003, and the power did indeed fail in large swaths of the US and Canada.


Why did the voice speak to me at that time? Probably to interrupt my blocked-writing spiral of obsession and give me a solution, because I pivoted and wrote about the blackout and the concurrent Mars perigee I’d been hearing about.


But the manifestation that spurred this post is not cute, or convenient.


A few years ago, I was in Brooklyn Heights, walking to the subway from the promenade where I had been looking out at the harbor. It sounded like a man behind me, but there was no one there.


“What are we doing for the end of the world?”


Hmm, looking from the perspective of now, it seems like it’s time we hung out…


Sorry to be glib, I know people are dealing with nightmares, anxiety, depression and oppression due to the current state of people and the planet. I feel it too. I also know that worrying does the opposite of making things better.

"Worry is not an expression of love." 

~ Alan Cohen

I’m not conceding to the prophets of doom, rather, I am going to flip the script and say,

"Yes. IT IS THE END  – of the world going in the wrong direction!"


So, invisible dude who sounded ever-so suave, it’s a date, because I now have a response to your question:


“What are we doing about it?"




Peggy Cyphers -- Animal Spirits Series -- Wuthering Heights


Comments