Saint Nicholas of Avenue A

 As the Steely Dan song goes “Your everlasting summer you can see it fading fast.”  And so it was that on a 62 degree afternoon in December in NYC, I sat in a lovely garden sipping caffe Americano with a friend, whingeing about the wintry weather predicted for the coming week. My beautiful walks would have to happen under layers of warm clothing, and through rain, and maybe even a foot of snow. 

On may way home, I noticed a stocky man with a long white beard and a good deal of belongings, sitting on a bus bench with concern in his blue eyes. There had seemed to be someone living in the glass shelter for a while, and if this was indeed him, I wondered where he would go to stay warm, and I think, as the wind blew harder and colder than it had in a while, he did too.

Given the location, he would be noticed and at least offered assistance, there was even a police vehicle nearby already. But he reminded me that I am supposed to know better than to resent a bit of cold when I have the gear and shelter to survive it.

This time of year we often allude to the rotund fellow with the white beard who has the supernatural power to give each and every one of us a gift. The man in the bus shelter did not have magical reindeer, but he did give me a gift – perspective.  I may not have the magic I need to give him such a life-changing present, but, all of us together, I think may be able to find a way to no longer leave anyone out in the cold.

Peace.

NOEL.

Comments